Asked By: Antonio Alexander Date: created: Jul 12 2023

Who can legally register a death in UK

Answered By: Benjamin Rogers Date: created: Jul 14 2023

Frequently asked questions about registering a death I need to register a death. Do I need an appointment What documentation will be issued to me after I have registered the death? In most cases, the registrar will scan the green certificate for burial or cremation electronically to the crematorium or cemetery office.

A close relative The person who is arranging the funeral. (such as the person who is instructing a funeral director)

In some circumstances another person who was present at the death may be able to register, but you should first contact for further information before booking an appointment. What happens if there are no next of kin, persons present at the death, or persons responsible for instructing the funeral directors? In the event that there is no qualified informant, you should talk with the bereavement co-ordinator of the hospital or nursing home where the death occurred, for further guidance.

Do you offer the Tell Us Once Service? Yes, Kensington and Chelsea are partners with the Department of Work and Pensions and offer the Tell Us Once Service. See the for more information. The death did not take place in Kensington and Chelsea. Can I still register at Kensington and Chelsea Register Office? A death can only be registered in the district where it occurred.

You can use Tell Us Once when someone dies abroad whilst visiting an EEA or Common­wealth country, but had lived and worked in England, Scotland or Wales. It is also possible for citizens who have paid to register the death with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to use the service, regardless of the country in which the death occurred.

Please call us on 0207 361 4100 for more information. The person died abroad but was resident in Kensington and Chelsea. Do I need to register the death in this country? No, there is no need to register the death in this country if it occurred abroad. You may, however, be able to use the Tell Us Once Service.

Please contact for further information. In what circumstances would the Coroner become involved after a death? Doctors and registrars are obliged by law to refer some causes of death and types of death to the coroner before the registration can proceed.

If the registrar has to refer to the Coroner, they will explain the specific reasons to you and ensure that the coroner has your contact details. I do not have a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death, but I know the coroners have conducted a Post Mortem. Can I register the death? You must wait for the coroner to confirm that the registration can take place before you attend the register office.

It is advisable to contact us by emailing to check that the necessary paperwork has been received before booking an appointment. I have been told the coroners are opening an inquest into the death. This will take some time to be concluded. Is there any documentation that will be issued in the meantime to enable us to deal with the funeral arrangements and the estate? If the coroner decides to open an inquest into the death, they will provide some paperwork for you to arrange the funeral and to deal with the deceased’s estate.

  1. The death certificate will not be available until the coroner has concluded the inquest.
  2. See the for further information.
  3. Am I eligible for any benefits or assistance with the funeral costs? The registrar is not able to advise on benefits or assistance with funeral costs.
  4. Full details can be found on,

Can you tell me where someone is buried? The register office does not retain any records of burials or cremations. If you are searching for a grave or cremation record, you should enquire with the cemeteries department of the local authority in which the cemetery is located or the parish in which the graveyard is situated.

You might be interested:  Who Has Kidnapped Darren In Hollyoaks?

What is the register of deaths in the Netherlands?

The Nationaal Register Overledenen – NRO (national register of deceased persons) contains personal data of residents in the Netherlands who have died since 1939. The register includes, for example, dates of birth and addresses. You can request information from the NRO, for example for genealogical research. Last updated on 11 July 2022

How do I register a foreign death in the UK?

Registering the death – You must register the death in the country where the person died. In many countries you can also register the death with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office in the UK. There is more information about how to register a death abroad on GOV.UK. When registering the death in person, you should take information about yourself and the person who has died including:

full name date of birth passport number where and when the passport was issued details of the next-of-kin – if you’re not their closest relative

Who can certify a death certificate UK?

2. Who should certify the death? When a patient dies it is the statutory duty of the doctor who has attended in the last illness to issue the MCCD.

Does it cost to register a death UK?

The registration service is free of charge. There is a charge for buying copies of the death certificate.

Asked By: Geoffrey Gonzalez Date: created: Feb 23 2023

How do I get a death certificate from the Netherlands

Answered By: Geoffrey Richardson Date: created: Feb 24 2023

Applying for Dutch civil status records from outside the Netherlands If you live outside the Netherlands and require a Dutch civil status record – for example, a birth, adoption, marriage, divorce or death certificate, or certificate of registered partnership – you can apply for an official copy or an extract from the municipality where the document was drawn up.

How do I register a death in Belgium?

Reporting a death in Belgium – A death must be reported and registered at the earliest possible opportunity, although there is no official time limit. It must be reported to an officer at the local municipality (commune/gemeente) where the death took place.

  1. The death must be reported in person by two adults who are not necessarily relatives of the deceased; this can usually be arranged by the appointed funeral director.
  2. Your appointed funeral director, when registering the death, can arrange for a Belgian death certificate to be issued.
  3. There are 3 types of death certificates that can be issued, the extract (extrait de acte/akte), the copy (copie de acte/afschrift van de akte) and the international version.

The ‘copy’ version is the full certificate and the one which is officially recognised in the UK although the international version may also be accepted by a number of institutions. To help with administrative matters you should ask the funeral director for several extra copies of the local death certificate.

Asked By: Evan Robinson Date: created: Oct 14 2023

How do I apply for death information to office

Answered By: Alan Morgan Date: created: Oct 17 2023

Dear Sir, Due to the death of my relative, I will not be able to attend the office for four days. So please accept my leave from (date to date). I will be thankful to you.

Is it illegal not to register a death UK?

Deaths in hospital – Most deaths now take place in a hospital or nursing home. If your relative dies in hospital, staff will contact you, lay out the body and arrange for it to be taken to the hospital mortuary. You will then be asked to arrange for the body to be collected by funeral directors, who will normally take it to their chapel of rest.

  1. At the same time, you will be asked to collect the person’s personal possessions.
  2. Before a death can be formally registered, a doctor will need to issue a medical certificate giving the cause of death.
  3. In hospital, this is usually done by a hospital doctor, who will hand the certificate to you in a sealed envelope addressed to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

You will also be given a notice, explaining how to register the death. There is no charge for either of these. If the person has not been seen by a hospital doctor, their GP may be able to issue a certificate instead. A hospital may ask you for permission to carry out a post-mortem examination to learn more about the cause of death.

You do not have to agree to this. In some cases, a doctor may not be able to issue a medical certificate of the cause of death. There may be a number of reasons for this. If the doctor isn’t able to issue a medical certificate, they will refer the death to the coroner. The coroner may order a post mortem examination.

You do not have the right to object to a post-mortem ordered by the coroner, but you should tell the coroner if you have religious or other strong objections. You can find out more information about when a death is reported to a coroner on the GOV.UK website at:,

You might be interested:  Who Owns Smarty Mobile?

How long do I have to register a death in England?

Register the death within 5 days (8 days in Scotland) – this includes weekends and bank holidays. You’ll get a ‘certificate for a burial’ to give to the funeral director, or an application for cremation which you need to complete and give to the crematorium.

Asked By: Colin Allen Date: created: Aug 01 2023

What happens if a British citizen dies in Spain

Answered By: Isaiah Barnes Date: created: Aug 04 2023

Register the death and obtain a death certificate – Deaths must be registered in the country where the person died. In Spain, the funeral director will arrange for the registration of the death with the local Spanish civil registry, who will issue a death certificate.

Local death certificates will be in Spanish and do not show the cause of death. If you need an English translation you need to pay for it. You can also apply for multiple copies of the standard death certificate and an international multilingual version through your funeral director. Alternatively, you can request additional Spanish death certificates by accessing the Spanish Ministry of Justice website.

You do not need to register the death in the UK. The local death certificate can usually be used in the UK for most purposes, including probate. If you wish, you can register the death with the Overseas Registration Unit, You can buy a UK-style death certificate, known as a Consular Death Registration certificate.

What happens to a bank account when someone dies UK?

Joint bank accounts – Couples may also have joint bank or building society accounts. If one dies, all the money will go to the surviving partner without the need for probate or letters of administration. The bank may need the see the death certificate in order to transfer the money to the other joint owner.

How do I find out if someone has died abroad?

The embassy or consulate can make enquiries – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs cannot trace people itself. However, depending on the situation the contact centre may be able to forward your question to the Dutch embassy or consulate in the country in question.

What does a UK death certificate show?

Death records – These records will state the date and place of death, age, occupation, final residence and cause of death of the deceased. It will also include the name and relationship of the person notifying the authorities and sometimes can give an indication on whether a spouse is still alive.

Is there a UK death registry?

The General Register Office holds records of births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships, stillbirths and adoptions in England and Wales. Contact the General Register Office with general enquiries or to ask about an application you’ve already submitted.

General Register Office [email protected] (put ‘GQ’ in the subject line of your email) Telephone: 0300 123 1837 Textphone: 18001 0300 123 1837 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm Saturday, 9am to 1pm Find out about call charges You can also use the online form to ask about an existing application.

You can order certificates online or write to the following address. General Register Office PO Box 2 Southport PR8 2JD For records in Scotland, contact the National Records of Scotland, For records in Northern Ireland, contact the General Register Office for Northern Ireland,

What to do when someone dies at home at night?

If the death was unexpected, you should dial 999 and ask for an ambulance and police immediately. You will be told what to do by the operator to establish whether you can try and resuscitate the person. The paramedics will carry out resuscitation or will confirm the death.

Leave the area untouched apart from any attempt at resuscitation. If the death was expected, perhaps due to a terminal illness, you should contact the deceased’s GP or nearest doctor. If it happened during the night, you do not need to contact the doctor until the following morning unless you want to.

If the cause of death is known and from natural causes the doctor will issue the documents to allow you to register the death. The police will arrange for the body to be moved by a funeral director acting for the coroner if the death is unexpected. If a doctor has confirmed an expected death you may call a funeral director of your own choice when you are ready to do so.

  • Funeral directors provide a service any time of day or night to move the deceased to a funeral home.
  • If the doctor is unsure about the actual cause of death even if it was clearly from natural causes, or if the deceased died suddenly and had not been under a doctor’s care during the past 14 days, or the death is unnatural, they will contact the coroner (or procurator fiscal in Scotland).

The coroner or procurator fiscal may order a post mortem examination to determine the cause of death and then issue the documents allowing the death to be registered. Donation of organs for transplant is not usually possible following a death out of hospital, but donation of tissues may still be possible.

  1. Please tell the doctor and funeral director as it may be necessary to move the body to a hospital rather than a funeral home.
  2. If a death was unexpected or involved some kind of trauma you may require specialist cleaning services to help deal with the room or place where someone has died.
  3. There are companies that provide these services with sensitivity and discretion.
You might be interested:  Who Is The Goat Of Football History?

If you are dealing with the police or a funeral director they may be able to advise you, or call us for contact details of the companies nearest to you.

Who should register a death in England?

Northern Ireland – The registrar will give you:

A GRO21 form giving permission for the body to be buried or for an application for cremation to be made.

If the body is to be cremated, the GP or hospital will arrange for a second doctor to sign the cremation certificate. You might also be given the phone number and or a unique reference number to use online for a service called Tell Us Once (in Scotland, Wales and England).

Can anyone apply for a copy of a death certificate in the UK?

Can anyone order a death certificate? Under UK legislation, death certificates are designated as ‘public records’, and as such anyone can request a duplicate certificate to be produced.

Is there a UK death registry?

The General Register Office holds records of births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships, stillbirths and adoptions in England and Wales. Contact the General Register Office with general enquiries or to ask about an application you’ve already submitted.

General Register Office [email protected] (put ‘GQ’ in the subject line of your email) Telephone: 0300 123 1837 Textphone: 18001 0300 123 1837 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm Saturday, 9am to 1pm Find out about call charges You can also use the online form to ask about an existing application.

You can order certificates online or write to the following address. General Register Office PO Box 2 Southport PR8 2JD For records in Scotland, contact the National Records of Scotland, For records in Northern Ireland, contact the General Register Office for Northern Ireland,

Asked By: Nathan Carter Date: created: Mar 14 2024

Who is the personal representative of a deceased person in the UK

Answered By: Jake Carter Date: created: Mar 16 2024

Make a claim to BVD – BVD publishes a list of all estates which have yet to be claimed. This list is updated daily, with new estates added. Any estates which have been claimed, or where a will has been located, or where the time limit for making a claim has run out or the estate is insolvent are removed from the list.

If you believe you are entitled to claim an estate which has been dealt with by BVD, please send a family tree which shows how you are related to the person who has died, and include the dates of birth, marriage and death of all those on the tree. If it appears that you may be entitled to claim the estate, BVD will then ask you to supply documentary evidence that proves your entitlement.

This will include:

  • full birth certificates (showing the parents’ names) and marriage certificates of each person between you and the deceased (including yours and the deceased’s).
  • identification documents which provide proof of your name and of your name linked to your address (see a list of acceptable ID documents at the end of this guide)
  • a full explanation, supported by evidence, of any discrepancies in the documents supplied with your claim or about any missing documents but you should note that these may affect the acceptance of your claim
  • if you are a third party who represents a claimant you will also need to provide written confirmation that you have been instructed by the claimant to make a claim. This could be in the form of a contract signed by the claimant provided it contains a clause confirming that the claimant has instructed your firm to make a claim on their behalf, or in a separate letter of authority signed by the claimant to this effect.

BVD may also ask you for other evidence if needed. If additional evidence includes census returns or the 1939 Register, this should be a copy of the actual return not an online transcript of the information contained on the return. Please also note that PDF documents supplied by the General Register Office (GRO) cannot be accepted.

The GRO website confirms that a PDF has no “evidential” value and therefore a paper certified copy (certificate) is required for official purposes. If you are in any doubt about how to prove your claim, you should seek your own advice, from a solicitor, local law centre or the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

BVD cannot advise you.