What happened to the Michael family from Gogglebox
The Gogglebox stars exited the show in 2021. Share this: Gogglebox’s fan favourite family, the Michaels, sadly left the show back in 2021 following the loss of Andy Michael, Carolyn’s husband and the father of Louis, Alex, Pascal and Katy. The Brighton-based TV personality passed away aged 61 following a short illness.
What did Giles do for a living?
Giles Wood managed to retire at a young age thanks to a lucrative job. Giles first burst onto the screen with his wife, Mary Killen, in 2015 and were instantly welcomed up by fans for their dry, sarcastic commentary. Their affectionate dynamic toward one another is picked up in every episode but very little is known about their personal lives.
- The couple met when they were in their early 20s when Mary was acting as a model and Giles studying at Wimbledon Art School.
- READ MORE: Loose Women’s Andrea McLean bedridden with illness as fans rush to support her Mary is an agony aunt for the Spectator, penning a regular column sharing advice on etiquette – as well as being the author of many books, including 2012’s How the Queen Can Make You Happy.
Though she continues to work, Giles has had a much easier time, managing to ‘retire at 21’ thanks to his job as a painter. While watching a documentary on coronavirus on the Channel 4 show, he said: “Just as I’m starting to enjoy my retirement.” Mary said: “What retirement? You haven’t worked first.
- You retired at 21, so now you can start working – do it in reverse.” He may have been able to kick his feet up at a young age but on his personal website it reveals that the star is a skilled painter, with his prints selling for £250.
- He enjoys painting the clutter of peoples’ lives and popular demand has recently led him away from his trademark landscapes to specialise in interiors.
On the site, Giles said: “I like the contemplative aspect — sitting for several days in a room, watching the light change. “There are as many changes as with a landscape. I always work in oils as they give more depth. The finished painting should offer an insight into the painter as well as the subject.” His artwork includes beautiful paintings of homes and landscapes, with some framed prints selling for hundreds.
Iceland fans say £2.50 frozen chips are ‘best they’ve ever tasted’ Loose Women’s Andrea McLean bedridden with illness as fans rush to support her Warning issued to any driver in the UK filling up with diesel this month Missing baby feared dead as parents arrested over ‘manslaughter’ Emmerdale Sammy Winward declares love for former co-star on special day
Receive newsletters with the biggest and breaking TV and showbiz news by signing up here For more celeb news, videos and pictures follow our designated Facebook page HERE Story Saved You can find this story in My Bookmarks. Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right.
Can Mary from Gogglebox walk?
10 May 2023, 09:34 Gogglebox’s Giles and Mary open up about their marriage Giles and Mary have opened up about their day jobs when they’re not on Gogglebox in an exclusive chat. Gogglebox stars Giles and Mary have been on our screens for more than eight years after joining back in 2015.
Listen on Global Player: Spencer & Vogue. Spencer Matthews and Vogue Williams let you know what they’re doing, thinking, and disagreeing on every week
Opening up about her husband’s day job, Mary told us: “Giles is a literally brilliant artist and it’s a crying shame he doesn’t do more of it. Giles and Mary have appeared on Gogglebox since 2015. Picture: Channel 4 “He has illustrated the book which shows his talent.” But when asked whether he’d like to build on his showbiz career, Giles added: “I know that some people on Gogglebox have used it to start their own careers.
Gogglebox’s Ellie Warner sparks rumours she’s given birth with social media silence Inside Gogglebox as ex-stars Sandi and Sandra reveal filming secrets Gogglebox star Paige Deville says show was a ‘pantomime’ behind-the-scenes
“I don’t think that’s going to happen to us, I haven’t got the ambition.” Talking about her own jobs, Mary continued: “I write columns in The Lady, The Oldie and The Spectator and I do other writing, I freelance so I’m always busy.” Giles and Mary call their house ‘The Grottage’. Picture: Channel 4 Mary also revealed what she gets up to when she does get some downtime, which includes walking around her village with friends. “I do walking, I explain in the book when I go with various friends. Gogglebox star Giles has brutal criticism of The Masked Dancer UK on Gogglebox While their lives have changed since becoming national treasures, Mary said she isn’t bothered by the attention she receives. “People do come up to me, but they are always very benign and they’re always smiling and they don’t harass at all,” she said. Gogglebox’s Giles and Mary are used to people approaching them. Picture: Getty When asked whether the locals mind about the Gogglebox cameras arriving every week, Mary said she thinks the locals ‘view us as harmless eccentrics’. She said: “The crew, they park in the village and they are all hand chosen, they couldn’t be nicer, nobody could mind them.” Giles added: “In a village you’re always going to get different points of view and you’re not going to get unanimity, so I’m sure some people dont mind it, some people do mind it.”
Has Paige left Gogglebox
Gogglebox’s Paige Deville suffers career woes after quitting Channel 4 show Paige Deville called her mum ‘a disgrace’ and said she never wanted to speak to her again because of ‘a serious family issue’ after quitting Gogglebox Paige Deville quits Gogglebox
- star Paige Deville, who quit the show to give her full attention to her business following a fallout with her mum – who also appeared on the show – has suffered a loss in her business after turning her back on reality TV.
- The 26-year-old ex reality TV star left Gogglebox back in September following her row with mum Sally Hayward.
- Paige, who runs her own beauty recruitment business, has been concentrating on growing her Staffordshire-based Palm Recruitment since leaving the show.
- However, according to, the first-year accounts posted to Companies House show the company made a loss of £113.
- The balance sheet also showcased that the company had assets of £661 for the 12 months to May this year.
Paige quit Gogglebox in September after a falling out with her mum, Sally The lull in her business comes after Paige previously complained about a planned rise in Corporation Tax in a fiery post. At the time, she complained to her followers: “Hi guys, story time with Paige Deville as always, you know I’ve got to give you all a weekly update.
But I am obviously working and I’ve had an email from my payroll company – just wanted to express my anger at this situation. “My payroll company have just told me a couple of updates that’s going on next year and so forth and one that’s really hit a nerve is the corporation tax one. Paige Deville called her mum ‘a disgrace’ and said she never wanted to speak to her again because of ‘a serious family issue’ ( Channel 4) “So at the moment all business owners pay 19 per cent on profits made, which to be fair is pretty high.
By the end of April 2023 that will be at 25 per cent. We were never going to get away with furlough, people getting paid for free to sit and home and do nothing. We’ve now lost that much money they’re now coming at the business owners, so that’s great.
- Paige quit Gogglebox in September after she blasted producers’ lack of aftercare, and revealing a deep chasm between her and mum Sally.
- Back in October, Paige called her mum ‘a disgrace’ and said she never wanted to speak to her again because of ‘a serious family issue’.
Paige quit Gogglebox in September after she blasted producers’ lack of aftercare’ ( Channel 4)
- The bubbly Brummy’s decision to quit the programme in a very public way shocked fans, as did cryptic revelations she has made about the collapse of the Deville family unit.
- In September, it was the main reason for leaving Gogglebox.
Speaking to, she said: “There have been problems within the family and my mum was given an ultimatum. The decision means I have nothing to do with her now. I think the decision is irreversible. “It is very sad but that’s life, unfortunately. My mum said she would no longer be filming Gogglebox.” She added: “The show offered me an opportunity to work with another family member but I didn’t want to work with anyone else.
Are the Siddiquis still on Gogglebox
Derby-based family the Siddiquis have been appearing on the hit TV show Gogglebox for a decade now. Dad Sid and his sons Umar, Baasit and Raza made their first appearances on the Channel 4 show back in 2013. Over the years, they have cemented themselves as fan-favourite cast members.
As one of the original Gogglebox families, the Siddiquis were pioneers for the series when it first started. Sid, Umar and Baasit continued to be regulars on the latest series (the 21st) of the award-winning show. While Raza departed after a couple of series, he has been back on the sofa for occasional appearances.
READ MORE: Gogglebox Siddiquis give two weeks’ notice ahead of massive challenge To the delight of their fans, they have confirmed they’re sticking around to appear in the next series, the Daily Star reports. Speaking during an Instagram question and answer session, the Derby-based chaps also confessed there was something about filming the ever-popular series they didn’t enjoy too much – all the sex talk. Gogglebox stars Raza and Baasit Siddiqui from Derby have teamed up to run 100 miles in a week for two charities (Image: Baasit and Raza Siddiqui / JustGiving) The brothers did go on to say: “We like to watch a variety of things and Gogglebox does allow us to watch stuff we possibly wouldn’t have.” The popular family have been on the show for 10 years now, the only people on the cast to have been on since series one apart from quick-witted hairdresser Stephen Webb.
Fans of the programme love the Siddiquis for their dry sense of humour when watching what’s on their screens. Now, during filming, Umar and Baasit will sit down with dad Sid, with brother Raza making occasional appearances, twice a week for the show. The family are some of the most iconic Gogglebox stars on the cast, alongside the likes of Pete and Sophie Sandiford, from Blackpool, and Jenny and Lee from Hull.
Umar told Radio Times earlier this year: “What we do is very simple – it’s just blokes talking in front of the camera. The genius comes afterwards, with the editing. Each bit of it is like a long joke told by several different families. And then one family is given the task of the punch line.” And while some cast members have gone on to try and further their stardom, like Scarlett Moffatt, the Siddiquis have no intention of doing so.
- Raza told the publication: “The way I see it is I’m going to go and meet Dad and Umar and Baasit, we’re going to watch TV.
- And we’re going to take the mick out of each other and enjoy ourselves.” Bassit also explained how the family got scouted for the show.
- He wrote: “I had a friend I used to work with when I was working in a video shop (showing my age) and she was working with Studio Lambert at the time when the Gogglebox idea was born and they were trialling the show and looking for family’s etc – and she suggested us!” Bassit then added: “I don’t think anyone thought it would grow into what it has and still be on TV 10 years later.” He also said daughter Amelia “loves” filming the series and hoped to make another appearance on the show soon.
But son Theodore is not so keen. Baasit said: “Theodore just thinks it’s a normal day at Grandad’s.” Raza and Baasit are to team up to run 100 miles in a week for two charities later this month. The brothers will take on the difficult challenge from Monday, May 29, to Sunday, June 4, and are hoping to raise £4,000 in the process.
- The pair chose Melbourne-based ‘Me & Dee’ as one of the two charities they will raise money for.
- The run will also raise funds for an education charity called Education Support.
- Bassit has worked in education for almost 15 years.
- You can donate to Raza and Baasit’s JustGiving page here,
- Gogglebox continues to air on Channel 4 and All 4 each Friday from 9pm.
Want to make sure you don’t miss another big event, shop, restaurant or bar opening? Sign up for the free Derbyshire Live What’s On newsletter here. READ NEXT
Gogglebox Siddiqui brothers to run 100 miles in a week for Derbyshire charity Last chance to visit Derby’s only vegan food shop as closing date set New Borrowash bar co-owned by Sheffield United footballer Pieminister is to open its first Derby restaurant in empty shop The Nags Head at Hulland Ward back open after £70,000 revamp – take a look inside
Story Saved You can find this story in My Bookmarks. Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right.
Are Ellie and Izzi on Gogglebox twins?
Ellie and Izzi Warner are the sisters who make us laugh with their brilliant remarks on Gogglebox.