- 1 Who from Coronation Street died
- 2 Is Adam leaving Coronation Street 2023
- 3 Who died in Coronation Street in 2008
- 4 Who are the new couple in Coronation
- 5 Who died in the sinkhole in Coronation Street
- 6 Who killed Tommy in Coronation Street
- 7 Who is the most married character in Coronation Street
Who from Coronation Street died
Coronation Street actor Anita Carey dies aged 75
Coronation Street and Doctors star Anita Carey has died aged 75, her agent has confirmed.The TV comedy actor turned to soap acting in 1978 when she was offered the role of Brenda Summers, a victim of domestic violence, on Coronation Street before returning to the cobbles 18 years later to play Joyce Smedley, the debt-laden mother of Judy Mallett (Gaynor Faye).Yorkshire-born Carey was the first to film her exit from the ITV soap in 1997, amid a series of action-packed farewells following a headline-hitting “cast cull” by new producer Brian Park in a bid to boost viewing figures, it was reported at the time.In 1990 she returned to sitcom, starring in A Kind of Living, before returning to soap in 2007, playing Vivien March on BBC One’s Doctors for two years.
Former Doctors director Steve Hughes, who worked on the show between 2005 and 2010, said on Twitter: “Sad to hear that Anita Carey has passed. I really enjoyed working with her on Doctors back in the day.” Doctors writer Roland Moore tweeted: “Saddened to hear about Anita Carey. She was a joy to write for as Vivien on Doctors and it was great to meet her once at the soap awards.” Carey (right) as Joyce Smedley in Coronation Street. Photograph: ITV/Shutterstock Carey established herself in TV comedy playing Susan Chambers in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? in 1973, the same year she met fellow actor Mark Wing-Davey while she was playing Miss Heasman in the touring theatre show Butley.
- The pair married in 2002.
- A year later the couple both appeared in a Crucible Theatre production of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, before Carey starred in the West End production of Hobson’s Choice.
- In the following years she appeared in sketch show One-Upmanship, based on Stephen Potter’s spoof self-help books, as well as comedy-drama Beryl’s Lot, in which she played one of the children of a London housewife, portrayed by Carmel McSharry.
Carey also starred in John Finch’s drama The Spoils of War as Martha Blaze, before appearing as a devoted wife of a Labour MP in ITV’s 1986 adaptation of Jeffrey Archer’s novel First Among Equals. Carey took on countless TV character roles before moving to New York after Wing-Davey, who had become a successful director in the US, became chairman of the graduate acting programme at New York University in 2008.
Who is going out of Coronation Street 2023?
Peter Barlow (Chris Gascoyne) – Chris Gascoyne as Peter Barlow in Coronation Street ITV When is Peter Barlow leaving? 2023. Chris Gascoyne is set to depart his role as long-running character Peter Barlow in Coronation Street later this year. The Corrie star will be on screen until the end of the year but will then be leaving the soap at a currently undetermined date.
- RadioTimes.com understands that Gascoyne will be an extended break from the role as he has before, with the door very much left open for his return.
- Gascoyne is the seventh actor to have played Peter since the ITV soap started airing in 1965.
- He first played the role between 2000 and 2003, before returning in 2007 for a stint which lasted until 2014.
He returned in 2016 and has been a regular on the soap ever since. Gascoyne was cast earlier this year in a stage production of Peter Pan, playing Captain Hook at The Alban Arena over the Christmas and New Year period. What will this mean for Peter’s marriage to true love Carla?
Is Adam leaving Coronation Street 2023
Statements from the Actor and Production Team – To date, no official statement has been made by Robertson or the production team about Adam leaving Coronation Street. Robertson’s hints towards leaving have only added to the suspense. The ambiguity of the situation keeps fans guessing. It’s a clever play that keeps interest piqued, ensuring viewers stay tuned for updates.
Who died in Coronation Street in 2008
Paul Connor Jr. –
|Paul Connor Jr.|
|Coronation Street character|
|Appears on||30 April 2008|
Paul Connor Jr. was the stillborn son of Liam ( Rob James-Collier ) and Maria Connor ( Samia Ghadie ) born on 30 April 2008. He was named after his late uncle Paul, who died ten months before. Maria had not felt the baby move, told Sean Tully ‘s ( Antony Cotton ) boyfriend, Marcus Dent ( Charlie Condou ), and went for an emergency scan on 28 April; the baby was dead.
- Maria did not tell Liam, thinking that he would marry her because of the pregnancy, and went to stay with her friend/boss Audrey Roberts ( Sue Nicholls ).
- Liam found out that Maria had lost the baby when a midwife visited, wanting to check on Maria.
- He and Maria separated briefly, holding the baby’s funeral on 9 May 2008; Liam carried Paul’s tiny coffin.
Liam and Maria subsequently reconciled although he had a one-night stand with Carla Connor ( Alison King ). Liam died in October 2008 when Maria was six weeks pregnant. Paul’s brother, Liam Connor Jr., was born on 1 July 2009.
Who is the oldest cast member of Coronation Street?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|William Roache OBE|
|Roache in October 2017|
|Born||William Patrick Roache 25 April 1932 (age 91) Basford, Nottingham, England|
|Children||5, including Linus and James|
|Service/ branch||Royal Welsh Fusiliers|
|Years of service||1953–1956|
William Patrick Roache OBE (born 25 April 1932) is an English actor. He is best known for playing Ken Barlow in the ITV soap opera Coronation Street, Roache is the longest serving cast member in Coronation Street having appeared in the show since its very first broadcast on 9 December 1960. He is listed in the Guinness World Records as the longest-serving television star in a continuous role,
Who are the new couple in Coronation
There’s set to be a new hot couple in Coronation Street in the coming weeks, as the ITV series has cast two soap favourites. Stephanie Davis is swapping Hollyoaks for the cobbles as she has been cast as Courtney Vance, the glamorous wife of Darren, played by The Archers’ favourite, Ryan Early.
- Darren is one of Dev Alahan’s (Jimmi Harkishin) business associates and will spend most of his time (quite literally) talking shop.
- Courtney, meanwhile, is a total minx, who sets her sights on getting herself a toy-boy lover – and it’s Aadi (Adam Hussain) she has her eye on.
- It isn’t long before the storyline spirals out of control and Aadi finds himself in a web of lies as Courtney does her best to make sure the pair can meet up behind her husband and his dad’s backs.
Will her plan work? Or will the new couple prove to be quite the bombshell? (We’re expecting the latter!) Adam Hussain as Aadi Alahan in Coronation Street. ITV Davis and Early will start filming in this week ahead of their first appearance in July. Speaking of her exciting new role, Davis commented: “I am absolutely delighted to be joining the cast of Coronation Street, playing the part of Courtney Vance.
- You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Early added: “I am so thrilled to be playing Darren Vance on Coronation Street and joining the most iconic soap.
I grew up watching the show with my grandmother so to walk on the cobbles is such an honour.” And executive producer Iain MacLeod said: “In Stephanie and Ryan, we have cast two fantastic actors as the catalyst for this fun, fiery storyline. Aadi will quickly find himself way out of his depth as he risks everything for Courtney.
6 Coronation Street spoilers: Health emergency for Roy and Billy hears the truth? Michelle Keegan felt like an outsider in first role on Coronation Street Coronation Street star had visceral reaction filming emotional scenes
Visit our dedicated Coronation Street page for all the latest news, interviews and spoilers. If you’re looking for more to watch, check out our TV Guide and Streaming Guide, Try Radio Times magazine today and get 12 issues for only £1 with delivery to your home – subscribe now, For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to The Radio Times Podcast,
Who is the new kid in Coronation Street?
Coronation Street fans will be saying ‘finally’ as one of the show’s youngsters is set to get a brand new storyline. However, they will have a completely new face. The ITV soap’s latest spoilers have revealed a new storyline for Ruby Dobbs, the daughter of Tyrone Dobbs and stepdaughter of his wife Fiz, which will see a new actress take on the role for the first time in 11 years.
- Ruby will be seen going head-to-head with sister Hope Stape as the local youngsters spend their summer attending Little Big Shotz classes at the community centre, thanks to Glenda Shuttleworth.
- Try MEN Premium for FREE by clicking here for no ads, fun puzzles and brilliant new features In the upcoming scenes, viewers will see Hope confidently practising her solo in front of Ruby and it will come as no surprise that she is fully expecting to land the lead role in the Little Big Shotz summer spectacular.
However, later on at the community centre, Glenda sparks chaos for the siblings as she announces that Ruby has landed the lead role. Glend’s decision means that Hope, Eliza and Ciara will act as Ruby’s backing singers. And while Ruby’s obviously thrilled, it goes without saying that Hope isn’t best pleased with the decision and the attention being on Ruby. Ruby will now be played by newcomer Billie Naylor (Image: ITV) And it isn’t uncommon for child stars to be replaced with new actors for a number of reasons, particularly schooling commitments. The first scenes with the new Ruby will air on Corrie next week, starting on Monday, August 7.
- But the new storyline will be a treat for fans who are often left wondering about poor Ruby’s role within the Dobbs family.
- Back in November, amid drama for Fiz and Tyrone as a book about her ex John Stape was set to be publish, Corrie fans couldn’t help but point out another character was nowhere to be seen.
@MeeshyJay tweeted: “Where is Ruby? Ty has obviously forgotten that he actually has a biological child #Corrie.” @HelenAPat commented: “Hope’s not the only one missing. Ruby’s been missing for weeks and no one’s noticed! #Corrie.” @Kathlee53178282 asked: “Where is Ruby you know Tyrone’s daughter? #corrie.” @SmalesRachel echoed: “Why do we never see Ruby? #Corrie.” Story Saved You can find this story in My Bookmarks.
Is Peter Barlow leaving Coronation Street?
Is Peter Barlow leaving Coronation Street? – But it’s now been reported that Chris has decided to ‘take an extended break’ as he wants to pursue other roles. A source told The Sun: “Chris has decided to take an extended break from the soap.
Brookside legend Claire Sweeney looks unrecognisable as she joins cast of Coronation Street The Love Island 2023 stars with secret famous connections including Brad Pitt and Coronation Street What happened to Hayley Cropper in Coronation Street and where is Julie Hesmondhalgh now?
“He loves working at Coronation Street but he’s got a lot of things he wants to do and the time is right for him to take a break and pursue other roles.” They added it ‘isn’t a final goodbye’ and the door is ‘left open’ for him to return in the future. Chris Gascoyne has been on Corrie since 2000. Picture: Getty This comes after Chris announced he would be taking on a new role playing Captain Hook in The All New Adventures of Peter Pan, a production running from December 8 until December 31 at The Alban Arena in St Albans. Chris Gascoyne (left) and Alison King attending the TV Choice Awards held at the Hilton Hotel, Park Lane, London. Picture: Alamy “Don’t miss your chance to experience the wonder and excitement of Neverland once more in Paul Hendy’s pantomime sequel!”
Is Sarah going out of Coronation Street?
The following article contains discussions of baby loss. Coronation Street spoilers follow. Coronation Street star Tina O’Brien has promised that “exciting” scenes are on the horizon for her character Sarah Barlow following her recent baby plot. Tina confirmed that she’s currently filming another chapter of drama for Sarah, who was recently left devastated as her family life fell apart. ITV Related: Coronation Street star Jack P Shepherd confirms downfall for Stephen Reid Digital Spy was granted exclusive access to the photoshoot and spoke to each of the cast involved. Tina told Digital Spy : “It’s going to continue being quite busy for Sarah, in the aftermath of the Damon and Adam situation and of course the subsequent devastation that she feels over the miscarriage. ITV // ITV Related: Coronation Street confirms sad new feud for Todd Grimshaw Discussing the recent miscarriage scenes, Tina continued: “I didn’t know it was going that way, but when I read the episode of the miscarriage, every time I tried to read it, I’d cry.
- I found it so beautifully written.
- It was a writer called Jan McVerry and she’s been with us for a very long time – she’s incredibly talented.
- I felt quite lucky to be able to do that scene, because it’s something that happens to so many people and it’s heartbreaking.
- I know with all the stuff with Damon and Adam, Sarah had not helped herself.
She put herself in some ridiculous situations, stupid positions and made some terrible choices. But to see that she was really heartbroken by the loss of the baby that she really longed to have, it was something that was really important to me.” ITV Related: Coronation Street confirms emotional week of episodes for Paul Foreman Tina also discussed Corrie ‘s nominations at the Inside Soap Awards, which take place next month. She said: “I think that soap fans should vote for Coronation Street this year because I truly believe that we have everything.
- We have fantastic comedy, we have tragedy, we have drama.
- The writers and producers are so clever at mixing it all so well.
- And we have some classic characters!” The Platts are up for the Best Family prize at the Inside Soap Awards and you can watch our full behind-the-scenes video from the nominees photoshoot at the top of the page.
To see Inside Soap ‘s full exclusive pictures and interviews with the Coronation Street cast, pick up the latest copy of the magazine, on sale now. To cast your vote in the 2023 Inside Soap Awards, visit www.insidesoap.co.uk, Organisations including Sands and Tommy’s are able to offer help and support to anyone affected by baby loss. Daniel has been writing about soaps on Digital Spy since 2004 and took over as Soaps Editor in 2010. He has interviewed hundreds of soap stars over the years, from Bill Roache to Lacey Turner, and regularly visits the sets of Coronation Street, EastEnders, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks for behind-the-scenes trips and press events.
Who killed Kylie Platt in Coronation Street?
Callum Logan’s murder – Tina O’Brien ( pictured ) plays Kylie’s sister-in-law Sarah Platt, Kylie murders Callum Logan (Sean Ward) in order to protect the character. Coronation Street aired a special live episode to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary of ITV, In the episode Callum and Kylie’s sister-in-law Sarah Platt ( Tina O’Brien ) argue inside the Platt’s home.
- Callum attacks Sarah, overpowers her and threatens her life.
- Ylie walks in on the struggle and hits Callum over the head with a wrench.
- Her actions left Callum bloody and dead on her kitchen floor.
- The live episode concluded with David returning home to the fatal scene.
- He decides to help Kylie and Sarah to conceal Callum’s murder.
He wraps the body up and puts him down a manhole in their garage. The following episode features the trio plotting to dispose of Callum’s body in a public space. An ongoing conversion of the garage in a bedroom extension poses a problem and they need to move quickly, but a series of events ruin their plans.
- Ylie and David are physically sick when they first try to remove the body from the manhole.
- They are later interrupted by a visit from the police who investigate Callum’s abandoned car.
- Gail then hires Jason Grimshaw ( Ryan Thomas ) to cover up the manhole with concrete, unaware Callum is concealed inside.
Lane assessed that her character “cracks” during the storyline and each character handles Callum’s murder differently. Sarah becomes hysterical, David stays calm and scheming, whereas Kylie remained in a state of shock and she had to “strip right back”.
The story played out with David attempting to help Sarah and Kylie move on. As Lane noted, the characters turn on each other and “it just becomes one big crazy fight for survival, it’s a mess.” They feel trapped within the secret and the situation get out of control. Writers continued to play on the tense situation, using Kylie and Callum’s old friend Gemma Winter (Dolly-Rose Campbell).
The show planned a dramatic stunt which would lead to the discovery of Callum’s body. The scene featured Carla Connor ( Alison King ) causing a car accident, colliding with Tyrone Dobbs ‘ ( Alan Halsall ) pick-up truck which smashes into the Platt’s home.
- This causes the floor to give way and a recovery team unearthing Callum’s body.
- Producers decided to conclude the story without Kylie being held accountable for the murder.
- Instead they used a character that had been recently killed off, Tony Stewart (Terence Maynard), who had publicly feuded with Callum.
When Sarah confesses the truth to Todd Grimshaw ( Bruno Langley ), he decides to frame Tony for the crime–a scheme which proved successful.
Who died in the sinkhole in Coronation Street
Coronation Street fans were left in tears on Friday night as Johnny Connor died trying to save ex-wife Jenny. The former Rovers Return landlord headed down the Platt’s sinkhole after Jenny was plunged below ground. Unable to make an escape, the former couple kept each other company as they screamed and waited for help.
With the water rising quite quickly, the pair managed to make their way up a ladder – only for it to break and plunge them back into the flowing water. READ MORE: Corrie shock as GMB’s Ranvir Singh reveals Corey Brent star’s soap exit Eventually, Shona Platt came to their rescue, while putting her own life in danger.
Threading a rope through the tunnels, Jenny managed to be pulled to where she could get out. But Johnny couldn’t hold on. As a wailing Jenny urged him to join her, an ailing Johnny heard his late son Aidan call to him in his final moments. When Jenny and Shona finally emerged, Carla desperately looked for her dad. The Connor’s back in 2015 (Image: PA) The death of another Connor leaves Carla and Ryan the only two members of the family still on the cobbles. And fans have pointed out the problem. “@itvcorrie #Corrie I feel sorry for Carla. it is not good to be a male member of the Connor family,” tweeted one. Johnny lost his life in the sinkhole (Image: ITV) Another said: “It’s actually crazy that only a few years ago the Connor family were so strong and now there literally only a couple of them left at Johnny’s funeral.” “Can’t believe Carla’s an orphan now and how the Connor’s are dropping like flies 🙁 I want her to have some more family back #corrie,” a third added.
A fourth commented: “The men in the Connor family don’t have much luck do they?! RIP Johnny.” “It’s Saturday morning and in my mind the Connor family are happy. Aidan and Johnny are alive. Kate is happily married to Rana who didn’t die. Carla is successfully managing the business and zoom calls everyone to keep in touch.
No one is dead+you can’t tell me otherwise. #Corrie,” another fan said. First look images show Corrie stars filming tragic Johnny’s funeral scenes, Corrie stars Sally Ann Matthews (Jenny), Alison King (Carla), Charlotte Jordan (Daisy) and Chris Gascoigne (Peter Barlow) have all been snapped filming the upcoming scenes.
What happened to Jack and Vera in Coronation Street?
How did Jack Duckworth die? –
- In his final storyline, Jack was diagnosed with incurable non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- He passed away peacefully from the terminal illness sitting in his favourite armchair at his old house on Coronation Street.
- As he left this plane of existence, Jack was experiencing joyful visions of dancing with his deceased wife Vera.
Why did Raquel leave Coronation Street?
Casting and development – Lancashire is the daughter of Geoffrey Lancashire, a scriptwriter who worked on 171 episodes of Coronation Street during the 1960s. She made her first Coronation Street appearance in 1987, shortly after graduating from drama school.
Lancashire had a walk-on role as Wendy Farmer, a nurse who enquired about lodging with established character Jack Duckworth ( William Tarmey ). The actress then spent a year performing in West End theatre, and worked as a drama lecturer in Salford before being cast as Raquel in 1991, initially on a three-month contract.
She continued to teach for a year, before committing to Coronation Street full-time. Thompson believes that it was Raquel’s role in the 1994 Tanya and Des love triangle storyline which “elevated to the pantheon of Street legend.” Lancashire recalls it as a well-constructed storyline with credible pacing, explaining that “because Raquel lives in this very idealistic world – she’s such a dreamer – when reality hits her, it hits very, very hard.
- That really was the first opportunity we’d had to strip away a bit of the exterior of her character and see how fragile she was.” Lancashire remained in the series until 1996, and was paid £90,000 annually.
- Two years into the role, she experienced a 14-month nervous breakdown, but did not confide in anyone beside her close family, or take any time off work, which in retrospect she deemed “the worst thing could have done.” Lancashire departed in 1996 due to her heavy work schedule and desire to pursue other projects.
She had grown tired of the fame the role brought her, shying away from personal appearances and interviews with television magazines, which made her feel “like an airhead”. Although at the beginning of her tenure she agreed to some interviews, she later refused all publicity for Coronation Street, threatening to leave if she was made to do it.
- Her departure was spread over three episodes, including an hour-long special.
- Her final scenes attracted 20 million viewers.
- Lancashire briefly reprised the role in 2000, with series producer Jane Macnaught deeming Raquel one of Coronation Street ‘s most popular ever characters and her return an opportunity for her “millions of fans” to learn what had happened to her in the intervening years.
Lancashire and Kennedy were the only cast members to appear in Raquel’s return episode, marking the first time the programme had featured just two characters. It remained the only two-hander episode of the soap for seven years, until a 2007 episode featured only mother and daughter Deirdre ( Anne Kirkbride ) and Tracy Barlow ( Kate Ford ).
Who has appeared the most in Coronation Street?
Top 100 appearances
|–||Character||Number of appearances|
Who killed Tommy in Coronation Street
Who was Tommy Harris in Coronation Street? – Originally from Sheffield, Tommy opted for a change of scenery with his wife Angela, by settling into Coronation Street in 2002. A trained mechanic (and Sheffield Wednesday F.C. supporter), Tommy was hired at Websters’ Auto Centre, where he befriended Kevin Webster ().
- Little did fellow residents know that Tommy and his family had taken on the name Harris and moved to Weatherfield as part of the witness protection scheme.
- After five months, their cover was blown and they were revealed as the Nelson family.
- Tommy was even shot in the arm as he defended his daughter Katy from the Morgan brothers, gangsters who came after them when Angela help put their sibling Tom behind bars for murder.
The Morgan brothers were arrested following an explosive showdown at No.6 and the Nelsons were finally free to live in Coronation Street under their real name.
- But, ironically, the threat to Tommy’s life came from within his own home.
- Tommy was stunned when his daughter Katy became romantically involved with Martin Platt, a 35-year-old nurse.
- After decrying Martin a pervert for falling for his teen daughter, Tommy refused to have anything more to do with her until she broke off the relationship.
- This caused a rift with Angela which then led Tommy’s son Craig to tamper with the brakes on Martin’s car, nearly killing him and Katy.
- In 2005, however, Tommy found a way to break Martin and Katy up by spreading false rumours that Martin was having an affair with Sally Webster ().
- Devastated, Katy aborted her and Martin’s child before finding out the truth, which caused her to discarded by the nurse.
- Tommy gloated over what he had done, enraging Katy.
- Blinded by her anger, Katy hit her own father over the head with a wrench, killing him instantly.
- Angela eventually took the blame for the murder, accepting her fate in prison but Katy was unable to cope with her own actions and ended her own life shortly after.
This left a young Craig to fend for himself until he was taken in by his maternal grandfather Keith Appleyard at No.6.
Who is the most married character in Coronation Street
|Coronation Street character|
|Portrayed by||Simon Gregson|
|First appearance||Episode 3,001 6 December 1989|
|Introduced by||Mervyn Watson|
|Spin-off appearances||Text Santa (2013) Streetcar Stories (2014) First Dates for Children in Need (2021)|
Steve McDonald is a fictional character from the British ITV soap opera Coronation Street, played by Simon Gregson, The character first appeared on-screen during the episode airing on 6 December 1989. He arrived as part of the McDonald family introduced by producer Mervyn Watson along with his twin brother Andy ( Nicholas Cochrane ) and parents Liz ( Beverley Callard ) and Jim McDonald ( Charles Lawson ).
- For the first year on the Street, the character was credited by the actor’s real surname Gregory, before changing to Gregson from early 1991 onwards.
- Steve is Coronation Street ‘s most married character, having been married seven times to five women.
- In September 2015, Gregson announced a break due to personal reasons and Steve was off-screen from November 2015 to 22 April 2016.
Steve’s storylines include his many failed relationships: with Vicky Arden ( Chloe Newsome ), Fiona Middleton ( Angela Griffin ), Karen Phillips ( Suranne Jones ), Ronnie Clayton (Emma Stansfield), Becky Granger ( Katherine Kelly ), Tracy Barlow ( Kate Ford ), Michelle Connor ( Kym Marsh ) and Leanne Battersby ( Jane Danson ), as well as Tracy giving birth to his daughter Amy ( Elle Mulvaney ) and depression,
He also has a son, Oliver, with Leanne, whom he impregnated whilst his wife Michelle was pregnant with Ruairi, However, Ruairi was stillborn. In 2019, Steve and Tracy struggled to cope when their 14-year-old daughter, Amy, fell pregnant by gang member Tyler Jefferies (Will Barnett). Steve later discovered that hairdresser Emma Brooker ( Alexandra Mardell ) is his biological daughter following his relationship with Fiona, 20 years prior to Emma’s arrival in Weatherfield.
In 2020, Steve and Leanne discovered that their 3-year-old son Oliver had mitochondrial disease, which later claimed his life.
Who is the longest serving soap actor?
List of longest-serving soap opera actors, a serialised produced for radio, television and internet streaming, are specifically and uniquely known for their and long-running characters. Many of these characters have stayed in their respective series for decades, often played by the same actor.
- The following is a list of the longest-serving actors from soap operas all over the world.
- It details those actors with ten or more years spent on one year-round or soap opera, despite itinerant breaks and in some cases with the actor portraying multiple roles.
- As of 2023, holds the for the longest-serving actor in a television soap opera, having played on since 1960.
holds a similar record as the longest-serving actor in a radio soap opera, having joined the cast of as character in 1957.
Who spoke the first words in Coronation Street?
Elsie Lappin – Elsie Lappin characterPortrayed byFirst appearance9 December 1960Episode 1Last appearance14 December 1960Episode 2ClassificationCreated byIntroduced byTony Warren
|Husband||Tommy Foyle (1930–1945)Les Lappin (1947–1952)|
|Daughters||Hilda FoyleShelagh Foyle|
Elsie Castleway (also Foyle and Lappin ) was the owner of the Corner Shop on Coronation Street from 1945 to 1960. She is notable for delivering the very first lines of the show, telling ; “Now the next thing you’ve got to do is get a signwriter in. That thing above the door will have to be changed.” Once Elsie hands over the lease to the shop to Florrie, she leaves the Street.
A variety singer in her youth, Elsie’s singing days ended when she injured her vocal chords at twenty-three. In 1930, she married widower Tommy Foyle and ran the Corner Shop in Coronation Street with him until his death in 1945. They had two children together, Hilda and Shelagh. Elsie enjoyed working behind the counter and took over the running of the shop when Tommy was confined to bed after a stroke.
When were in place during, Elsie helped her neighbours by buying to supplement their allotments. Elsie’s scheme was rumbled by the police and she was fined. The war ended on 8 May 1945, but as the other Street residents celebrated, the Foyles mourned the passing of Tommy who died from a heart attack.
- An invalid in his later years, Tommy had urged Elsie to remarry so she wouldn’t have to run the shop alone after his death, and although she could cope perfectly well at the shop Elsie did get married again, to Les Lappin in 1947.
- Elsie was a widow again in 1952 when Les died from a heart attack.
- Hilda and Shelagh remained at the shop until 1957 and in 1960 Elsie decided to retire.
Buying a bungalow at Knott End, she sold the shop to Florrie Lindley. After the sale, Elsie remained for a few days to show Florrie the tricks of the trade and warn her about the neighbours.
What happened to Anita Carey?
Personal life and death – In 1973, while appearing in a stage production in Sheffield, Carey met actor Mark Wing-Davey, a member of the company there. The two began living together the following year. They married in 2002. The pair had two children together.
How did Ashley Peacock died in Coronation Street?
Departure – The Peacocks’ departure tied in with the show’s 50th anniversary celebrations, The anniversary episode was broadcast live on 9 December 2010, with Ashley being killed-off in an explosion, taking place at The Joinery, which caused a tram to derail onto the street.